The holiday season is here and that means it’s time to celebrate! There’s a lot to do during November and December in Omaha to bring in the holidays with good cheer, so we put together a list of some of our favorite holiday events, shows, concerts, lighting ceremonies, bars, restaurants, gift boutiques, and Christmas tree farms to help those who may be looking to start a new tradition or just get into the holiday spirit with their friends and family.
Holiday Events and Shows Happening in Omaha
Every year, there are a number of holiday events and shows to attend in Omaha. Take a look at what’s going on this year.
- Tree Lighting Ceremony at Union Station. Stop by this event from 4-8pm on November 23 for entertainment, cookie decorating, holiday crafts, live music, and more. The tree lighting will happen around 7pm.
- Holiday Cultural Festival at Union Station. From 5-9pm on November 30, visit more than 40 local cultural organizations to learn about holidays and traditions from all over the world.
- Holiday Poinsettia Show. Thousands of poinsettias will fill the floral display hall at Lauritzen’s Gardens from November 23 through January 6.
- Omaha Holiday Lights Festival. This festival, which runs from November 22 to January 6, will provide festive, family fun activities. This year’s events include the Thanksgiving Lighting Ceremony, Lincoln Financial Group Making Spirits Bright Holiday Concert, Sounds of the Season, The Capitol District Ice Rink, KETV Family Festival, and New Year’s Eve Fireworks Spectacular.
- KETV Family Festival. This year’s KETV Family Festival will be held as part of the Omaha Holiday Lights Festival and will feature special events for children.
- Physicians Mutual & WOWT Holiday Market. You can visit this German-style open-air market on Saturday December 1-Sunday December 2 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. The heated tents cover 4,000 square feet and will definitely be a fun experience and you may find a few holiday gifts there.
- Santa Goes to Space. Visit the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum on December 1 from 10am-2pm to experience Santa and Star Wars activities.
- Family Fun Day at Midtown Crossing. This event occurs on November 17 and it free and open to the public. Families will be able to look at the twenty Miracle on Farnam window displays and decorated trees in Turner Park and participate in a number of other activities.
- Holiday Under Glass at Joslyn Art Museum. Enjoy the sounds of the season during this annual concert series that runs on various dates from December 5 to 21.
- Boys Town Historic Créche Displays. Take a driving tour and view the two history Nativity scenes from December 1 to January 7.
- Holiday at Hogwarts. Visit the Holiday at Hogwarts event from November 29 to December 22 to be transported to the Wizarding World for a Happy Christmas Feast at the time of the founding of Hogwarts School.
- A Christmas Carol. See the classic, “A Christmas Carol” at the Hawks Mainstage Theatre from November 16 to December 23.
- Holiday Appetizers Class. Try something new and learn how to create restaurant quality appetizers for large groups during the holidays.
- Mannheim Steamroller Christmas. Check out this event on December 22 and 23 at the Orpheum Theater.
- Annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony at Village Pointe. Enjoy a family concert, Santa parade, and tree lighting on November 23.
- Santa’s Sleigh Ride. Look for Santa on November 25! Santa will begin his route around 3pm, leaving from the Santa’s workshop parking lot in La Vista. Find out more about his route here.
- Horse and Carriage Rides. Holiday shoppers at Village Pointe can enjoy complimentary horse and carriage rides throughout the center on Saturdays from November 24 to December 15.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical. Enjoy this holiday special at the Orpheum Theater on December 15.
Our Favorite Omaha Dining Options for the Holidays
Omaha has some of the best restaurants, bars, cafés, and eateries in all of Nebraska. Here are some of our favorite picks for enjoying a lunch with friends or a nice holiday dinner with your loved ones.
- 11 Worth Café. This highly rated café has fantastic breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
- Petrow’s Restaurant. If you’re looking for a classic dining experience, stop by Petrow’s.
- Dante Pizzeria. If you’re looking for pizza, Dante’s is the way to go.
- Dinkers. This fine dining restaurant has an extensive wine and cocktail list, in addition to a broad menu.
- Block 16. This award-winning, gourmet burger restaurant has unique and delicious lunch options.
- This lunch spot has phenomenal burgers and has been voted one of Midwest Living’s top burger places.
- The Drover. This steakhouse features original whiskey steaks.
- A Hill of Beans Coffee Roasters. If you’re looking for a pick-me-up while shopping, stop in this shop for coffee made from freshly ground beans.
- Brickway. This brewery and distillery is located in the Old Market District and serves handcrafted beers and spirits.
- Farnam House Brewing Company. This brewery specializes in all types of European beers.
Enjoy all the food and spirits you desire this holiday season, but remember to always say no to drunk driving.
Local Gift Shops and Boutiques for Unique Holiday Gifts in Omaha
Looking for that something special for that someone special on your holiday shopping list? Look no further. Here are some of our favorite local stores and shops for gift-giving.
- Old Market Artists. This local gallery features unique types of artwork and gifts.
- Next Millennium Mystical Books and Gifts. Here you’ll find mystical-inspired apparel, jewelry, statuary, candles, tarot cards, healing stones, and more.
- The Bookworm. Check out this independent bookstore for the perfect gift for the book lover in your life.
- Scout: Dry Goods & Trade. You’ll find environmentally friendly apparel, gifts, and more at this shop.
- The Brass Armadillo. You’re bound to find a number of vintage gifts in this antique mall.
Where to Buy a Christmas Tree in Omaha
Getting and decorating a Christmas tree is a traditional millions of families in the United States carry out every year. To find your perfect tree this year, check out these farms.
- Nordstrom’s Christmas Tree Farm. This full service Christmas tree farm has been in operation since 1970.
- Frosty’s Pines Christmas Trees. This choose-and-cut tree farm is located off of Highway 75.
Happy Holidays from Welsh & Welsh
We hope you’re able to make the most of the holiday season in Omaha by taking advantage of the shows, events, dining and shopping options, and more. If you think we forgot anything, let us know and we’ll be sure to add it to the list.
From everyone at Welsh & Welsh, we wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and safe holiday season.
What’s a Backover Accident?