Every day, car accidents across the nation lead to tragedy and broken families. Here in Nebraska, we are not exempt from these types of crashes. If you’ve been injured in a serious car crash in our state, an Omaha car accident lawyer can help your family recover from a tragedy that shouldn’t have occurred.
The facts don’t lie. In 2015 alone, over 15,560 individuals were injured in car accidents in Nebraska. Minor accidents may not seem to have lasting effects, but major car crashes can wreck an individual’s ability to work, provide for their loved ones, and live a happy and normal life.
When a serious auto accident is caused by a driver who is careless or reckless, the consequences can seem even more devastating because you know there is someone at fault who may cause more wrecks. When an accident is caused by the negligence of a car manufacturer, the recovery process can take longer than it should because you know there’s nothing you could have done differently. When serious car wrecks are more than simple accidents, this is when they can impact us the most.
Luckily, this is also when U.S. citizens can fight back and obtain justice for the victims of the accident and their families. When individuals suffer from car accident injuries that are caused by negligence, carelessness, or reckless acts, the victim can file a lawsuit against the guilty party.
A lawsuit can allow the victim and their family to obtain financial compensation that can be used to pay for medical bills, loss of employment wages, pain/suffering costs, and more. Additionally, a car wreck lawsuit allows a family peace of mind. When a negligent driver must pay a price for their reckless or careless actions, they’ll think twice before repeating those same actions.
If you’ve been in a serious car accident in the state of Nebraska and wish to recover financial compensation and peace of mind, you’ll need the help of an Omaha, NE car accident lawyer. First, let’s go over some car accident facts and statistics.
Common Causes of Car Crashes in Nebraska
Car accidents can happen due to a wide variety of factors. Many are related to the weather, poor visibility, or the conditions of the road or highway at a given time. Many factors are uncontrollable. Many others are due to simple mistakes from drivers. These are the car accidents that are 100% within the control of individuals.
Some of the most common causes for car accidents in the state of Nebraska include the following:
- Driving too fast – Even under normal conditions, driving too quickly can lead to a devastating accident. In 2014, over 600 car accidents in Nebraska were caused by speeding.
- Failure to yield to the proper right-of-way – Right-of-way rules exist for a reason. Drivers expect one another to yield to these rules. When the rules are broken, accidents happen.
- Inexperienced driving – Newer drivers are unfortunately at a higher risk for causing accidents. Newer drivers should pay extra attention to the road and focus on being cautious to give themselves extra time to react.
- Disregarding traffic controls – When drivers run red lights or disregard posted signs, accidents can easily result. Traffic controls, like speed limits, exist for a reason. They exist for our safety.
- Drunk driving – Alcohol was involved in almost 33% of all fatal car crashes in the state of Nebraska in 2015. When we get behind the wheel chemically impaired, our reaction times, sense of vision, and sense of judgement all become significantly impacted. This can quickly lead to an accident even if you think you’re safe to drive.
- Distracted driving – Whether the distraction is being immersed in a conversation that’s occurring inside the vehicle, texting a friend, glancing at a social media feed, or capturing a quick photo on a smartphone, these can all lead to dangerous accidents. In the frame of one second, a lot can go wrong on a fast-moving highway.
- Poor vehicle maintenance or a defective vehicle – Cars require maintenance. Without proper maintenance, things can go wrong while on a highway, potentially causing a serious accident. Similarly, vehicles that are improperly manufactured can break down and cause an accident.
Most of the above causes are completely or at least partially avoidable. If all Nebraska drivers did their part to obey the laws of traffic, pay attention to the road, and drive cautiously whenever appropriate, we could avoid a large percentage of our state’s car accidents.
The Implications and Consequences of Car Accidents
Serious accidents can lead to lifelong consequences involving painful and debilitating injuries and medical conditions, hospital time, surgeries, the inability to work which can cause a loss of employment, income loss, the loss of medical insurance that may be provided through employment, and a wide variety of emotional hardships.
Many of the most common injuries that can happen as a result of a car accident include the following:
- Broken bones
- Lacerations, abrasions, and amputations
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Brain and spinal cord injuries – Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Neck and back injuries – Whiplash, neck/disc injuries, and broken vertebrae.
To treat these injuries and recover from any financial, physical, and emotional hardships, a family needs to stick together after a serious car wreck and do whatever they can to return to the task of living. To make matters worse, the other driver’s insurance adjusters may hound a family to settle early. Doing so will inevitably cause financial hardships. The other driver’s insurance agents are not on your side.
Get the Help You Need from a Omaha Car Accident Attorney
Dealing with pushy insurance agents, getting the financial help you need while you’re still recovering from injuries, and returning to the task of living can be incredibly difficult without legal assistance. With the help of a personal injury attorney, your family can recover and gain peace of mind.
Remember, the victim is not to blame. At Welsh & Welsh, we help victims and their families return to the task of living. Our law office can pair you with an expert Omaha, NE car accident lawyer who can speak to you regarding your case and tell you if filing a claim is in your best interest. Contact us to learn more.