Airbags are important security measures in a motor vehicle that can help save the driver’s life in the event of a crash. But when airbags aren’t made correctly, they can do more harm than good. If you’ve been injured in an accident because of a defective airbag, you can seek your legal options with an Omaha airbag injury lawyer from Welsh & Welsh. We’ll do everything we can to get you the justice that you deserve.
What Are the Top Five Airbag Defects?
There are several problems that can happen with airbags. An issue can have something to do with the airbag’s timing, its size, and how it’s attached in the vehicle. Any of these defects puts the driver at risk of injury and causing an accident. Some of the most common airbag defects are:
- Wrong Size. If the airbag is too large for the car, it will deploy further than a properly sized airbag would and could possibly injure the driver.
- Isn’t Tethered. Airbags are secured in place with tethers so when they inflate, they stay in the right place. When the airbags are untethered, they can inflate further than they’re supposed to and could hurt the driver.
- Failure to Deploy. Airbags are supposed to deploy in high-speed They are usually one of the security measures that prevent fatalities. When they fail to deploy, the driver is at a higher risk for getting hurt or potentially losing their life.
- Needless Deployments. If a driver is in a low-speed collision, the airbag isn’t supposed to deploy. But sometimes there’s an issue where the airbag does deploy when it isn’t needed. This can cause more harm to the driver.
- Deployment at Wrong Time. Airbags can deploy when they aren’t supposed to. This could be when the driver turns on the car, uses the brakes, or when they drive over debris or a pothole in the road. A malfunctioning deployment is scary and can make the driver lose control of their vehicle, along with causing injuries.
It’s important to know which airbag defect occurred in your accident. The experienced lawyers at Welsh & Welsh will investigate your case and look over every detail. We’ll find the cause of the accident and determine who was responsible for it.
How Can Airbags Be Defective?
Any product can be defective if there’s an issue with how it’s made. Airbags are no different. When airbags are being produced, there are two areas where they could become hazardous.
- When airbags are made, they need certain materials to have the best performance. Manufacturing companies may try to save money by using cheaper materials. They also may not put the product through enough testing to get it on the market as quickly as possible.
- The airbag could have a design flaw that makes it less effective over time or prevents it from working entirely.
If a manufacturer took shortcuts and caused your injuries, we will find out. Our goal is to make sure your voice is heard, and you recover damages for what you’ve been through.
What Injuries Can Be Caused?
When airbags malfunction, people can get hurt. Whether it’s from deploying at the wrong time or being the wrong size, airbags can do a lot more harm than most people realize.
- Traumatic Brain and Head Injuries. An unattached airbag or too large airbag can cause trauma to the brain and head. One could sustain brain injuries or a concussion.
- Facial Injuries. The impact of the airbag can cause eye injuries or possibly break facial bones.
- Neck Trauma. Whiplash is common in car accidents and happens when the neck jerks back and forth. A defective airbag could also cause this injury or even back injuries.
- Breaks and Fractures. A driver’s hands, wrists, and arms are at risk of breaking or spraining when the airbag deploys.
These injuries can cost a lot and put you in a place of stress. But don’t get overwhelmed. We’ll calculate what the accident cost you and fight to get compensation to cover those expenses.
Sometimes these injuries can result in fatalities. If you’ve lost a loved one because of a defective airbag, an Omaha wrongful death lawyer can help you with your claim.
Get in Touch With an Omaha Airbag Injury Lawyer
Your wellbeing needs to come first. This includes your physical health as well as your financial situation. Being involved in a car accident can be overwhelming when you’re trying to recover from injuries, figure out when you can return to work, and handle the claim. That’s what we’re here for. While you focus on your recovery, we will fight on your behalf and get you the compensation you deserve. Contact our office in Omaha today for a free consultation. Our car accident lawyers are on your side.